Now that The Related Group and The Related Companies are both on board with Island Gardens, the long-stalled Watson Island megaproject, things are starting to look big, big, big. While not an entirely new design, according to a report obtained by exMiami, they've expanded the older one by architects Nichols Brosch Wurst Wolfe with some wiz-bang new features like a big mall and park, and that grand mega yacht marina and basically masterplanned all of Watson Island in the process, creating a semi-self contained wonder world of excessive luxury and questionable urbanity. (wasn't Jorge Perez an urban planner at one time?)
Here are some highlights:
1) A big ass 500,000 square foot mall. (okay, fine, 500,000 square feet is not that big as far as malls go, but it certainly looks very large)
2) A 13 acre mega-yacht marina. (Finally addressing Miami's chronic shortage of mega yacht dockage. Seriously, this is an actual issue)
3) A parking garage and heliport to the east of the Children's Museum.
4) A large waterfront park, sculpture garden, and amphitheater on the east side of the seaplane terminal.
5) A giant fountain on the MacArthur Causeway offramp to Island Gardens. Fancy!
6) Atop the mall, and between two towers, an amenity deck to end all amenity decks, which will include pools and ballrooms galore.
7) Terraces cascading down to the waterfront with lots and lots of waterfront dining.
8) Two luxury hotel and condo towers.
9) 500 hotels room
10) 200 residential units.
11) Docks with observation decks to check out all the giant boats in the marina.
12) A budget of somewhere in excess of $1 billion. Yep.
· Island Gardens coverage [Curbed Miami]
· First Look At Plans For $3 Million Square Feet Island Gardens [exMiami]