clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Allen Morris Park Donors Not Happy It's No Longer A City Park

New, 2 comments

Back in 1974, the Allen Morris Company donated two pieces of land to the city of Miami with a deed restriction forbidding any use other than a public park. They became known as Allen Morris Park. Decades later, an agreement was reached by parties involved that swapped one public park for another, with the southern half of Allen Morris Park being incorporated into the Brickell Flatiron building, in exchange for a larger and far more promising wedge of park space a few blocks south, the Brickell Flatiron Park, which would become a public park.

Well, now ExMiami reports that Allen Morris is not a fan of this new arrangement and, having lost their park in perpetuity, the company is attempting to gain control of the Flatiron Park through, what else, a lawsuit. Meanwhile they're partnering in a competing development a few blocks to the north, which theoretically could imply an ulterior motive.
· Allen Morris Wants Brickell Flatiron Park Back [exMiami]
· Brickell Flatiron Park coverage [Curbed Miami]
· Allen Morris Park coverage [Curbed Miami]
· Outdoors Week 2014 coverage [Curbed Miami]

Brickell Flatiron Park

1100 SE First Ave., Miami, FL