Architect August Geiger's 1926 neoclassical First Church of Christ Scientist could find salvation as a supermarket. Owner of the property, Fifteen 1836 Biscayne LLC, has obtained city review board approval to reuse the church as a commercial property.
While the church structure would be maintained, it would be added to with a multi-layered garage that can hold about 637 cars. That structure would be 11 levels and 104 feet tall. That would be attached to a 38-story tower with 352 residential units, according to ADD Inc.-Stantec. And 20,000 s.f. of ground level retail space would add to the project.
The church, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, will now have parking in the air.
· Historic church to become grocery [Miami Today]