It was only a matter of time before La Palais Royal, a massive 60,500-square-foot estate in Hillsboro Beach in Florida, returned to the market. The property first appeared for $139 million in 2014 when it was still under its final stages of construction. The home didn't sell, so the owner — Robert Perira, founder of a Massachusetts-based construction company — took it off until construction of the main home was finally complete. While La Palais Royal did hold the title of Most Expensive Home in America for what seemed like mere minutes, it was almost immediately dethroned by Palazzo di Amore in Los Angeles, which at the time was asking a pretty outrageous $149 million. Shoot forward today and Palazzo di Amore's price is down to an, ahem, more obtainable $149 million, so La Palais Royal's new asking price of $159 million makes it the most expensive home for sale in America.
Everything you want to know about Le Palais Royal:
- Construction of the main home is complete, which means phase two is being taken on: building two guest houses, a pool, and and an entertainment space with an ice skating rink, go-cart track, bowling alley, and night club.
- The property sits on 4.4 acres set on the beach between the Ocean and Intracoastal.
- The grand staircase, which for some reason has a name — Pièce de Résistance — cost $2 million to build.
- There's over $3 million in 22 karat gold leaf.
- Do you have a 200 foot yacht? There's a dock for that.
- It has its very own IMAX home theater. It seats 18.
- There are six water features, including a 24-foot fountain.
- The listing representative is Mayi de la Vega, founder and CEO of ONE Sotheby's International Realty.
- The total cost of building the estate was over $100 million.
- The 4,500-square-foot infinity pool has a swim-up bar and water slide.
- There's a glass-bottomed hot tub above the pool.
- Unlike the last time the property was on the market, this time around it includes an additional 1.5 acre lot because "the estate needed more land and entertaining space."
- The main house has 11 bedrooms, "including a master suite with a heated plunge pool on the balcony."
- The property is modeled after the Palace of Versailles.
· The Most Expensive Listing in the U.S. is a $139 Million House in Fort Lauderdale Called Le Palais Royal [Curbed Miami]
· Inside That Fort Lauderdale House That Was The Country's Most Expensive for, Like, Five Minutes [Curbed Miami]
· Subprime King Asking $195MM For Vomitous Bev Crest Palace [Curbed LA]
· Lavish, Tacky Palazzo di Amore is Only Asking $149M Now [Curbed LA]
· Florida's Le Palais Royal Boosts Its Price Tag to $159 Million [WSJ]