Turn back time to 1927, when ladies and gents dressed as dapper folks. Shown here is the lobby of the Miami Dade College Freedom Tower, which was built in 1925 as a home for The Miami News that was modeled after the Cathedral of Seville's bell tower.
The U.S. government used the space as a reception center for Cuban refugees from 1962 to 1974, as the immigrated to the United States during the Cold War. The U.S. Department of the Interior has also called the Freedom Tower the "Ellis Island of the South."
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 2008, the building designed by George A. Fuller, Schultze & Weaver was donated by 600 Biscayne LLC and the Pedro Martin family. Architecture houses history.
· Freedom Tower [Miami Dade College]